News

Xolile George's salary increase to R5 million sparks calls for forensic investigation

Mayibongwe Maqhina|Published
The ANC blocked the discussion of the salary increase for Secretary to Parliament, Xolile George, when the EFF wanted the matter added in the agenda of the parliamentary committee meeting.

The ANC blocked the discussion of the salary increase for Secretary to Parliament, Xolile George, when the EFF wanted the matter added in the agenda of the parliamentary committee meeting.

Image: Henk Kruger / Independent Newspapers

The Red Berets want a forensic investigation instituted into Secretary to Parliament (STP) Xolile George’s salary increase, which doubled to R5 million since his employment three years ago.

EFF MP Omphile Maotwe made the demand as ANC parliamentarians pushed back on George’s salary being discussed at the Joint Standing Committee on Financial Management of Parliament’s meeting on Friday.

Maotwe faced an uphill climb when she asked that the salary be included on the agenda.

“I would like to add as we have a proposal. We would like to have a forensic investigation into the matter,” she said.

Co-Chairperson Sandy Ndhlovu said her proposed agenda item would be considered with previous meeting’s minutes.

“It was something discussed at the last meeting,” Ndhlovu said.

Maotwe protested that minutes were just records of a meeting and that the committee has not decided the matter as closed.

“To suggest that the matter is closed is wrong,” she said.

Despite Maotwe’s protest, the agenda was adopted without her proposed item, with ANC MP Helen Neale-May saying George’s salary had been discussed thoroughly at the last meeting.

“We agreed to disagree on the matter. We can't come back and open a certain aspect of that item,” Neale-May said.

However, an opportunity presented itself to Maotwe when the officials presented reports at the meeting.

She stated that the salary for the position had been advertised at R2.6 million, and George was employed on the same amount in 2022.

Maotwe also said the salary was increased to R4.4m, eight months into his contract, and the remuneration stands at R5m as per the 2024/25 audited financial statements.

“What approval process was followed?” she asked.

Maotwe noted that no one has received the 12% salary increase, “especially when the economy is not doing well”.

“Did the Speaker of the National Assembly and Chairperson of the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) sign on for this increase?” asked Maotwe.

In response, NCOP Chairperson Refilwe Mtsweni-Tsipane said George’s salary was R4.9m. “The declared R4.9m refers to gratuity that is calculated over the years, which is due to the STP at the end of his contract. The declaration has to be done in accordance with the accounting standards,” Mtsweni-Tsipane said.

She stated that the seventh Parliament has not effected a salary increase.

Maotwe was unconvinced by Mtsweni-Tsipane’s explanation that the R4.9m include gratuity.

“If you look at the audited financial statements, it clearly says it is a basic salary. It does not have a line of gratuity,” she said.

Maotwe alleged that George’s appointment was corrupt and illegal.

“The issue of a forensic investigation is much more urgent now to even look at,” she said, adding that Parliament had no share option scheme for its employees.

“The appointment of the STP and its related activities leading to the salary increment and changed human resources policy is known to him, and executive authorities are just corrupt,” Maotwe added.

Ndhlovu called for cool heads when the matter was discussed.

“If we address issues with emotions, we will not get what we want to achieve at the end of the day,” she said.

DA MP Michelle Clarke called for a legal opinion to be obtained on the matter.

ANC MP Cameron Dugmore claimed that Maotwe was waging a personal attack against George despite the absence of fact or finding by the Auditor-General.

“This is unacceptable. It is an ongoing attack on an individual. It is something we can't allow to continue. There are remedies the member has,” said Dugmore.

His colleague Bheki Radebe said people were free to seek relief in court to have the A-G’s report, which did not find an irregularity, set aside.

Co-Chairperson Soviet Lekganyane, who did not make remarks when the agenda was adopted, said members were free to ask for any matter to be considered, even if it had been dealt with before.

However, Lekganyane said members should be advised to make their requests procedurally and bring matters in a manner that allows everybody to prepare to the best of their ability.

Lekganyane added that there was nothing to defend George.

“The STP, as a South African, has proven his administrative prowess, has led institutions even before he came to Parliament. He did not bring himself here. He was brought by the authorities,” he said. 

George’s salary was first brought up by the DA in February when it asked President Cyril Ramaphosa to issue a proclamation for an investigation by the Special Investigating Unit.

The party had also lodged a complaint with Public Protector Kholeka Gcaleka against George, former speaker of the National Assembly, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, and former  NCOP chairperson Amos Masondo.

Gcaleka has since recused herself from the investigation, citing a perceived conflict of interest linked to their alleged romantic relationship, and the probe is headed by her deputy, Dinkie Dube.

On its part, Parliament previously said there was nothing to be concerned about the salary increase and the A-G did not find an irregularity.

mayibongwe.maqhina@inl.co.za